Friday, April 18, 2014

TCM Classic Film Festival 2014 aka the best experience I've ever had!

Hello Hello Hello!!!

I have so many things I wanna tell you about my experience at the festival but I'll just tell you guys the basics. First off I got to meet my best friends aka the Non-Fleshies - Kate(
I met her twice previously), Casey, Millie, and Sarah. They are the coolest, funniest, sweetest people I ever meet. I'm incredibly shy but they made me so comfortable and at ease.


The pass that I had limited movies that I was able to go to, so I ended up missing out on seeing some movies but everything worked out just the way it was supposed to be.

The first movie that I saw was one of my absolute favorite movies, "The Thin Man". I went with Millie, Casey, and Sarah to go see it and what an experience! As fun as it is to see "The Thin Man" on my tv, it was such a better experience seeing it on the big screen with my best friends.

After seeing "The Thin Man", all of us went and saw the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". I'd never seen any of the versions so it was a definite treat to be able to see the original. It was so good and eerily fun to watch!

The last film that I saw on Friday was "The World of Henry Orient" with Casey and Kate. Merrie Spaeth and Paula Prentiss were there to talk about the experience working on the film. It really was so fascinating to hear what it was like to work on the film and what it was like to work with Peter Sellers. I had heard previously from various websites about Peter's attitude offset but what those two ladies said was nothing but good things. He definitely seemed like a character. I also never saw the film and I gotta say it was kooky and fun! I'm glad I saw it!


On Saturday we all went and saw the original 1954 classic "Godzilla" and let me tell you what an experience!!! It was so exhilarating and fun to see the original. I embarrassingly have seen 1998 version with Matthew Broderick but the original was sooooooo much better. Honestly if you haven't seen the original Japanese version, you need to get on that! You won't regret it at all!

Originally Kate and I were going to go see "The Stranger's Return" because we are both huge fans of Franchot Tone and Miriam Hopkins but they ended up only letting so many people in, so we went and saw "A Hard Day's Night" and I'm sooooo glad we did. I had seen the film before but it was Kate's first time seeing it. We also wanted to see because it was being introduced by Alec Baldwin. Kate and I are hugggggge fans of his show "30 Rock", so we were both ecstatic when he came out to introduce it. I had literally such a ball watching that movie on the big screen. It was so much fun and plus Kate really enjoyed it as well.

The last film of the day for me was "Freaks" and I saw that with Millie and Kate. We saw it at midnight  and it was sooo perfect!! If you ever get the chance to see that movie on the big screen you've got to see it. What a thrilling film!

Sunday I only saw two films and they were "Sunday in New York" and "Lady from Shanghai" and both films were fun to watch. "Sunday in New York" was my favorite film that I saw at the festival and it also happens to be Kate's absolute favorite film. Robert Osborne introduced the film which made the experience even more memorable.
That movie is so cute and fun and just so darn perfect, that after we watched it I wanted to watch it again. It was soooo marvelous!

"Lady from Shanghai" was probably the quirkiest, oddest film that I saw at the festival but I still had a blast watching it with my best friends. My favorite line from the film is loooooooooooveeerrrr! Hahaha it's so funny when Everett Sloane repeatedly says it throughout the film.


I also want to say it was wonderful meeting so many other bloggers such as Laura, Raquelle, K.C., Marya, and Trevor. Sorry I didn't really say anything but I was a little overwhelmed by the excitment of everything and two I'm incredibly shy but it was still fantastic to meet so many people that are also fans of old films. I also got to get a picture with Ben Mankiewicz and it was so amazing to meet him. He and his wife are so incredibly nice and I'm such a fan of his. I really love watching him introduce films on TCM.


So there you have it! I will be posting a part two to this but it'll be centered on the activities I did outside of the festival. So stay tuned!

2 comments:

Laura said...

It was a delight to meet you and I loved your post! I love how everyone connects with special people and then with the wider group of classic film fans beyond that. See you next year!

Best wishes,
Laura

KC said...

It was so nice to meet you too! I'm also shy, so I totally understand your feeling overwhelmed. It's just that I'm older and have more experience playing an extrovert from time-to-time! It really did my heart good to see the five of you together and having the time of your life. Friendships like that are so amazing. I'm glad you all had an amazing festival experience.